Are you an adult age 55 or older with an ongoing health condition? We can help you get the support you need. Please call us at (812) 876-3383 for more information.
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks, in community settings such as senior centers, churches, libraries and hospitals. People with different chronic health problems attend together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with chronic diseases themselves.
Subjects covered include:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- appropriate use of medications
- communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- and how to evaluate new treatments.
It is the process in which the program is taught that makes it effective. Classes are highly participative, where mutual support and success build the participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives.